Common Expenses in a Home Purchase
Of the following expenses, some will be optional and others will be part of the local custom for home buying in your area. As always, your Buyer’s Agent & Mortgage Professional will be your guides.
- Earnest Money/Good Faith Deposit. 1-10% of the purchase price. A deposit that counts toward your other costs.
- Down payment. 0% to 20% of the purchase price
- Home Inspection. $250-500
- Sewer Scope. $99-150
- Various other inspections. $0- 500
- Closing costs & Prepaid expenses. (see “Buyer’s Closing Cost & Prepaids” for full details on these)
Closing costs are one time expenses. Prepaid expenses are for future costs like homeowners insurance & property taxes.
- Credit report. $0-60
- Application fee. $0-$400
- Appraisal. $400-550
- Origination fee. 0 to 1% of loan amount
- Underwriting fee. $250-700
- Document preparation. $0-300
- Processing fee. $0-400
- Prepaid interest. Your loan interest covering the time from the close date to the end of the month.
- Lenders title insurance policy. $250-700
- Flood zone certification. $15-90
Meet with your Buyer’s Agent & Mortgage Professional before looking at homes to estimate how much money you’ll need.
- Escrow or closing fee. $200-500
- Attorney fees. $0-600
- Prepaid property taxes. Property taxes typically run from 1-3% of the homes value. Your lender will require you to have 10-12 months worth of property taxes in your closing costs.
- Homeowners insurance. $300-500
- Recording fees. $25-120
- Excise fee or transfer tax. 0 to 2% of sales price
- Property survey. $0-600
Some of these costs are normally paid by sellers depending on customs in your area.
Many of these items are closing costs for your loan and you can negotiate to have the seller pay them for you, see Getting the Seller to Pay Closing Costs. Have your Buyer’s Agent & Mortgage Professional show you which ones you’ll have and what costs you will incur.
Thinking of buying a home in the Portland, Oregon area? Checkout our First Time Home Buying Classes!How Much Money Do I Need to Buy a House?,
Choose a state from the drop-down menu for specific state information related to this lesson.
Your email address and personal information are confidential and will not be sold or rented by Fearless Homebuyer.