Finding a Mortgage Lender you can Trust
Don’t automatically choose the lender with the lowest rate. You need a professional who can advise you on the best loan for you, otherwise you’ll end up spending more over the long term because you got into the wrong loan.
- Get a recommendation. The Buyer’s Agents we recommend have exceptional Mortgage Professionals that they use.
- Someone who has 5+ years experience. Lenders learn “on the job” so you want someone who has the experience needed to advise you properly.
- Find a professional who specializes in the type of loan you want. Someone who works with a lot of first-time buyers is usually best.
We call them Mortgage Professionals, but you’ll also hear them called Lender, Mortgage Lender, Mortgage Broker, or Loan Officer.
- Someone who has a physical place of business. An online lender can easily avoid your phone calls and emails if you have problems!
- Someone who acts like a professional. Don’t work with someone who doesn’t t take this process seriously. They will be helping you with the largest purchase of your life.
- Avoid newspaper and radio advertising. These lenders often promise a low “teaser” rate that you later find out you can’t get.
Low rates in newspaper ads or on the radio can be a “bait and switch” trick just to get you in the door.
- Work with someone who is genuinely interested in educating you about your options. A professional will help you even if you don’t qualify right now.
- The right Mortgage Professional should educate & advise you from the first conversation, not pressure you in any way.
A good Mortgage Professional is like a good doctor. They’ve seen everything & you can tell them anything you’re worried about.
Use our download Interview Questions to Ask a Mortgage Professional to help you with questions you should consider asking.
Thinking of buying a home in the Portland, Oregon area? Checkout our First Time Home Buying Classes!Tips for Finding a Great Mortgage Professional,
Choose a state from the drop-down menu for specific state information related to this lesson.
Your email address and personal information are confidential and will not be sold or rented by Fearless Homebuyer.