9 Benefits of Buying a Home vs Renting
- Its YOURS! You are free to get a dog, plant a garden, paint walls any color you want, change decor, and do most anything you like with your home.
- Community. Makes you feel more connected to your neighborhood and community, gives you a sense of pride.
- Forced savings. All those mortgage payment are slowly increasing the amount of equity (home value minus mortgage) you have in the home.
- Fixed housing payment. You know that rent will increase over time, right? A normal, fixed rate mortgage locks in your monthly payment for 30 years.
- Credit. If you pay your mortgage payment on time, owning a home substantially raises your credit score.
- Stability. Allows you to feel a sense of stability because you can stay in your home as long as you want.
- Tax write-offs. See our Lesson Tax advantages of Buying a House.
- Increase in value. Yes, home values will go up again! Over the past 50 years, home values have gone up an average of 5-6%. On a $150,000 home, that would mean over $75,000 in 10 years.
- Tax free gain. At the current time, when you sell your home, you pay no tax on the appreciation since you bought it!
The benefits of buying a house outweigh the drawbacks for most people, but be sure to consider your purchase from a long term perspective of owning the home for at least 5 years.
The renting versus buying question is personal. Rushing into a home for the wrong reasons can erase many of the benefits.
Thinking of buying a home in the Portland, Oregon area? Checkout our First Time Home Buying Classes!Top 9 Benefits of Homeownership,
Choose a state from the drop-down menu for specific state information related to this lesson.
Your email address and personal information are confidential and will not be sold or rented by Fearless Homebuyer.